There has got to be a way to have my algo
1) find expected IPO trade day, on that day check every 15mins to see if Ask/Bid is above $1.00.
2) buy the IPO with preset capital
3) every morning check if it's down 3%, if down then exit position
4) if it's up then stay in position until it hits a user defined ceiling (i like 30%) then exit.
5) every morning rinse and repeat.
I've done a bunch of spreadsheet work to verify the theory, buy every IPO every month and sell the next morning (avoid PDT) and you will make a profit. Now I want/need to transfer this theory into an automated system. I have mild java skills and python is similar enough for me to say I'm not a complete ignoramus but learning quant algo python is a large uphill climb and any help would be appreciated.
- there are a huge amount of websites that monitor upcoming IPOs i have even successfully imported a websites table into googlesheets. I successfully got googlesheets to text my phone when one of those table cells displays (example:"05/10/17 Priced") which says the IPO will begin trading that day but nobody knows exactly what time it will trade. So how do i incorporate this minor success into a backtest algo.
welcome to my algo journey start, respect to those that have gone before