You asked and we listened - you can now invite anyone to work with you on your investing strategy! Here's how to start:
- Go to the algorithm that you want to share and press the “Collaborate” button in the IDE. Enter the email address(es) of the people you want to collaborate with. You can invite both Quantopian members and non-members. Non-members will have to register before they can collaborate.
- Your collaborators will receive an email notifying them of your algorithm. They will also see your algorithm listed in their "My Algorithms" page with a collaboration icon.
- Open the algo and start collaborating!
The collaboration experience is very coordinated:
- When you and your collaborators are developing together, the code is changed on all screens in real time.
- When one collaborator "Builds" a backtest, all of the collaborators see the backtest results, logging, and/or errors.
- There is a new chat tab for you to use while you collaborate.
A few notes:
- This feature is in beta. Please let us know about any problems you see, or where the feature needs improvement.
- There isn't a technical limit on how many collaborators you can have, but there is a practical limit. The more collaborators you have, the more likely that you'll notice a performance problem. We'll improve that in the future.
- The algorithm owner has permissions that the invited collaborators do not. Only the owner can invite other collaborators, deploy the algorithm for live trading, or delete the algorithm.
- If you don't know a member's email address, you can search their profile in the forums and send them a private user-to-user message. If they choose to share their email address with you, then you can invite them to collaborate.
This has been one of the top feature requests since we first launched algorithm sharing in 2012. Until now, sharing has been all-or-nothing. We hope this collaboration feature unlocks even more algorithm creation. We want to hear your thoughts and feedback as you begin to use the new feature!