I am working on some long/short portfolios and am finding that a number of my best short candidates end up having one or both of the following characteristics:
- High lending rates according to IB's SLB tool (10% or more, some 20-40%)
- Special margin requirements, sometimes up to 100% (making running a 100/100 or 125/75 long/short portfolio difficult)
So just tossing this out there to the community and to the Quantopian staff:
1) Is anybody doing anything creative in their algos to detect/adjust/model for high lending rates? I'd assume Quantopian plans on providing this data at some point (hard to see how a long/short equity algorithm could be consistent in live money trading without it) but for now just curious what the community is doing (if anything).
2) Quantopian team - as regards the contest and/or fund, do you care if securities selected by an algorithm have special margin requirements?
3) Does anybody know what effect (if any) using Portfolio Margin through IB has on special margin securities?